Pinterest

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Like a Beaver or a Bee


Yeah, so I've been busy. I can't believe it's been so long since I started this little blog - with such good intentions. So, a lot has happened, and I can't possibly summarize all of it in a few neat paragraphs - so, bullet points will have to do.
  • The last couple weeks planning the wedding went fairly well. I now consider myself an expert at DIY wedding stuff. I made (with some help) all the floral arrangements, and I mean ALL of them, tissue paper flowers to hang in the reception tent, my birdcage veil and we used iTunes for our music, made our own playlist, my dad made an ice cream "cart" for the reception, the list goes on and on. It was probably a bit more stressful this way, but we got endless compliments on all the details, so, to me, it paid off.
  • Okay, I'm biased, but I have to say our wedding was the most beautiful and personal wedding I've ever been to. Everything went so well; it was a beautiful day. Perfect. Out of everything, I definitely got the most compliments on our vows. We each wrote our own, and they turned out to say exactly what we both wanted to say and what we both needed to hear as we began our marriage. I had more than one of our male guests come up to me afterward and tell me he cried.
  • Marriage is awesome. No big surprises. He's just with me all the time, which can be annoying when he chooses to watch Bonanza at 3:00 pm, and I need to read for class, but if that's my biggest problem, then I guess I'm pretty lucky. (Also, Bonanza? WTF?)
  • I have started a new school year and was given two weeks to pull myself together to teach freshman comp. I got a teaching spot at the last minute, which is really good for me (and my bank account), but it was a bit stressful. The good news for those who care to read this blog is I tend to blog more as a means to procrastinate, and nothing makes me procrastinate more than a pile of essays waiting to be graded.
There, now you're caught up. I haven't had any major wiferly epiphanies yet. The closest I've
come is realizing that I feel like I need to feed him. And, really, I don't want to be that traditional about this whole thing (and I know he doesn't care one way or the other), but I find myself taking it personally when he remarks on how he needs to gain weight and needs to eat more. There's also the fact that, when I do cook for us, it's healthy and vegan, so his chances of putting on weight are pretty slim. So, I'm trying to let go of this apparent social brainwashing I've received over the years that makes me think it's my duty to feed my husband.

Also, I'm having a bit of an identity crisis with my name, but maybe that's a saga for another time. As in, I still haven't officially made any changes to it, and now I'm wondering if I want to at all.

5 comments:

Breanna and Matt said...

If you do change your name, change it to Ernie. Or Bug Ernie. Yep.

P.S. I loved your wedding too :)

CëRïSë said...

Procrastiblog! Woo! Hey, are you guys coming to Becca and Justin's wedding? It'd be so exciting to actually meet you in person.

Erin said...

@ Breanna - Um, I think you deserve major credit for the wedding going so well, Wedding Coordinator Extraordinaire!

@Ceri - Yep, we fly out on Thursday. We'll be staying with the Schmidts. I'm sure we'll see you Friday. Very cool.

jessica said...

Awesome wedding picture up there. I must have missed that one because it's my new favorite. The look on your face is the best part.

Erin said...

@ jessica - yes, well, that one didn't get posted on facebook. i think it really gives the viewer a sense of "us," or maybe a sense of what i've promised 'til death do us part to.

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS