Pinterest

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Midterm Funk

The last couple of weeks have been tough. I remember saying to Mikael at the beginning of the school year that we should plan something for October, something fun to do that breaks our routine. I knew that once the wedding afterglow wore off, we didn't have any more trips planned, and we finished decorating the house, I would need something to perk me up. But, we failed to plan anything. So, the inevitable happened - I got behind in my school work, started staring blankly out the windows for long periods of time, and generally feeling like maybe I should just drop out and open a bakery or flower shop. This happens periodically. I guess it's one of the hazards of being rather melancholic. And, it doesn't help that Mikael has started a new job and works nights, leaving me with many hours to listlessly roam the house.

In order to get out of my funk, I put my school stuff aside for two days and didn't even let myself think about any of it. No papers to grade. No articles to read. I then proceeded to bake. I made vegan chocolate chip cookies, a spinach potato quiche (with legitimately free range eggs), two loaves of oat meal/wheat bread, and a chocolate hazelnut cheesecake for my friend Jenn's birthday. I also went to Lowes and bought a bunch of perennials for our yard and mapped out how to arrange them. After doing all of this, I felt a million times better.

I've always known that I'm creative, that trying different projects and crafts and recipes makes me happy, but I hadn't realized how this might actually be something I need. I've heard people talk about having a need to create, and my response has always been similar to how I react to people who say that pot really helps them with their art - with an emphatic, "yeah, right." But, maybe I do need to be creative from time to time in order to be better prepared for all those other things I have to do - like write lame reading journals, grade an endless pile of freshman papers, read articles on rhetorical theory, and stay awake for evening classes that don't seem to go anywhere.




3 comments:

c. elle said...

Typo..that's why I deleted the other post.

Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake. Yum. I would love the recipe.

Jenn Stewart said...

Seriously, I'd cut a bitch for that cheesecake. It was AWESOME.

Thoughts from the Area Man said...

king arthur flour is the best!

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS